//Drake Reveals Childhood Struggles: ‘I Had To Become A Man Very Quickly’//

Drake is definitely on top of the world right now. The 22-year-old rapper from Toronto just signed a reported $4 million deal with Lil Wayne‘s Young Money Records with distribution by Universal Republic, his single “Best I Ever Had” still sits comfortably in the top five of the Billboard Hot 100, and he’ll spend the summer touring with Wayne and Young Jeezy on their blockbuster America’s Most Wanted Music Festival tour.

It seems like everything is coming up roses for Drizzy, but that wasn’t always the case. Speaking with ABC News, he revealed he suffered some struggles in his childhood. “I was actually hurt by a lot of the things that happened throughout the course of my life,” Drake told ABC’s Darius Brown. “I had to become a man very quickly and be the backbone for a woman who I love with all my heart, my mother.”

Although he was a working actor since the age of 14 as a cast member of the popular Canadian-based teen drama Degrassi: The Next Generation, he would often travel back and forth between Toronto and Memphis, Tennessee to see his father, who split from his mother at a very young age.

He essentially lived in two different worlds; he lived in a very upper-class part of Toronto, and, when in Memphis, was told he was “the furthest thing from hood.” But Drake says image-conscious rap fans can still relate to him because of his experiences. “I saw my dad get arrested by like a swat team at the border for trying to crossover.” He added, “I’ve seen things that didn’t make me happy. They were character building. That’s why I think people in the hood can still connect with what I’m saying even though I’m not saying ‘yeah I got crack in my pocket’ ’cause that wasn’t my struggle necessarily, [but] I speak from a place that’s just human emotion.”

The interview took a lighter turn when the subject veered toward his love life and those incessant Rihanna rumors; he offered a solid “no” when asked if he’s ever dated the 21-year-old pop star. “I’ve never been dating Rihanna, but she’s a great girl — a great person.”

Watch the interview here for more on what Drake thinks about working with Lil Wayne, the pressure to live up to the hype, and controlling his music career.

photo: wireimage

Comments

1. i love u drake

2. Anonymous says:

u r s0 fam0us
    lmb0

3. hi drake i love you

4. Anonymous says:

ha ha

5. Anonymous says:

drake is so sexy id do him all night;)

6. ILoveh Yuh Drake]Yuh Theh Bessh Rappah!

7. luv ya drake

8. Dont Woory aBOUT IIT says:

Hey Drake if YOu Are Reading Thiiss Well iii Justt Wanted TO Tell YOu That ii Love YOu And YOur Songs..!! And Wiishhh To Meet YOu IINN pERSONN..!! aND Fuckk Them Haterrzz

Some one iinn Laredo Tx..!!

9. i think that drake is hottt and i love him so much :)

10. Omq Yall Lil Whoresz Hisz MiNEE!!!! iLOVEYHUDRAkE YUR NUMBER 1 FAN SOO FUCK OFF BiTCHESZ WE ARE MARRIED !!!!!!! DRAKE SEE YHU TONiTE AT 9

11. Ey Yo Drake Yhu isz My Sexci Husbandd (&) iCant Wait For Our Baby To Be Out..Yunqq Drake:) Well These Yearsz We Have Been Toqether Have Been The Bestt!! iCant Explain The Way Yhu Make Me Feel:b itsz Soo qreatt (&) iSupport Yur Rapper Career (&) im Here For Yhu Till The Endd!! We Ride Toqether We Die Toqether!!! iLove Yhu Baby:) (&) We qot Dat Forever Type Of Love Pinky Promisee:)(&) AnqelBaby Saysz Wutsz Up Brother in Law..(&) Tell All Those Bitchesz Flirtinq W. Yhu Yhu isz A Taken Man im HiSZ BABY MOMMA!!! Meh & Him Fuckk All Nitee & Dayy & Morninqq Ohhh isz He qudd He qot A Biqqq :)))) Hahahaha Anywaysz Hahaah Adrian Saysz Heyy Tooo

12. Anonymous says:

U are so efin FINE DRAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Anonymous says:

IN YOUR DREAMS BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Drakez Gurl!!!!!!****** says:

i just herd dat drake(my man) just married nicki minaj

15. Sweetheart says:

DaMn DraKe WaS GoOd LaSt NiTe

16. sugadaddy420 says:

damn just gettin ready to go 2 Drakes house he sed he is lonely 4 ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Hit me up on Facebook ya lil HOEZ

18. allysha garcia (Kershayna Parker) says:

OMG!!!!!!!!! DRAKE SED HE LOVED ME ahhhhhhhhhhhHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

19. i love you drake ur one of my favorite rappers/singers amd one day hope to grow up like you ur my idol

20. drake i love u ur one of my favorite rappers / singers and one day i hope u grow up like u ur my idol

21. Hey hes mine but let me just say this you all and i will not get him! Niki will they r in love! ya know!

22. Ur my rapper! Hahaha lolzzzz i wish he had a cell and i could text him! lolz!
    u my idol! yo!

23. Yo! HEs great at what he does! I love his music! Hes wonderful!

24. much love homie ei hit me up need to talk to you bad im kinda what u were as u were found im just a lost soul milloionaire in the making holla back

25. Damnn i LOVEE YOU BABY

26. i love you drake i just want to say that your the sickest rapper ever and singer and i know all ur songs i think you come from a really cool and good back ground!!!! and i loved you in concer you were so funnny and great i just loved you !!!!!! :) i will also like to say good job on the take care albumm !!you did great well i justb wanted too let you know that am your biggest fan ever and idqaf what anyone says !!!!! <3 WELL BYE love you drake(:
    ovo"xo