There are a lot of things that are well known about Black Eyed Peas founding member Taboo but he wants you to know much more.
The platinum-selling superstar is sharing his story in his brand new book, Fallin’ Up: My Story. In the book, you’ll get to learn about Taboo’s life growing up, his battle with addiction, the early days of BEP and more.
While you’ll definitely learn a lot about Taboo from his book, we recently put him through our 12 random questions so that you can learn some more obscure facts and thoughts from the star. In the Q&A, Taboo tells us which old school dance move he’d like to bring back, his plans for a solo album, what character he’d like to play in an SNL skit and more.
1. What was your favorite moment at the Grammys this year?
Being able to promote my book on the red carpet and actually let people know that this is my new mission right now because the Black Eyed Peas is getting my message out.
2. What’s more fun to you: the actual awards show or the parties leading up to the Grammys?
I would say the parties leading up to the Grammys. We usually do the Clive Davis party the night before and we definitely have a good time being at these parties and being with all of our peers and just the excitement before the actual show.
Yeah, it seems like just getting together with everyone would be a lot more fun than watching award be handed out.
Yeah. I mean, I don’t mind the awards ceremony but the pre-parties are always great.
3. You guys totally brought back “the running man” with your Super Bowl performance—which I loved!—What’s another old school dance you guys would bring back?
Um, probably “the Roger Rabbit.”
I can’t remember how the Roger Rabbit goes.
Well, it’s like…do you remember Bobby Brown?
Do you remember his video called “Every Little Step I Take?”
Yes, I do. OK!
Well, in one of the scenes in the video, he’s putting his leg behind the other leg and he’s kind of like moving [his leg] back and forth. One in the front, one leg is behind the other leg and that’s the Roger Rabbit.
Oh! Gotcha, awesome! [laughs]
4. Would you ever consider doing Dancing With The Stars?
Nah! Not at all. I love my job. I’m cool on Dancing With The Stars
5. The year’s still young so what’s one of the biggest things you’re looking forward to this year?
The birth of my son. My third son
Oh, definitely. And his name is Journey right?
6. If you had a girl on the way, what would you name her?
That would be a good name for both sexes.
Yup, it goes both ways.
7. The new Black Eyed Peas single is “Just Can’t Get Enough.” What’s something you current can not get enough of?
Oh! That’s so sweet! What’d you guys do on Valentines Day?
We went to Vegas. I had to work for a couple of hours because I have my shoe line called Taboo Deltah. So she went with me to work and we got to see some of the folks at Project Convention. After that, we went to dinner at Teppanyaki–great dinner. After that, we went to go see the Jabbawockeez show at the Monte Carlo. Then after that, we had a crazy bubble bath and it was a wrap!
8. What TV show is your current guilty pleasure?
I’d have to say “I Shouldn’t Be Alive”
9. You were saying on Twitter that you were looking to take the Taboo brand to the next level. Would that ever include a solo album?
Of course! That’s kind of what I was implying. You know, after the Black Eyed Peas album is pretty much slowing down, I want to hit them with a solo record.
But that’s in the future. Right now, I’m so focused on the Black Eyed Peas. Eventually, I want to do something for the Latin community because that’s my background so I want to be able to do some Spanish music. Some Spanglish type music.
10. You guys are known for your fashion-sense but what’s your favorite lounge around in the house type of outfit?
Just some sweatpants–Under Armour. Um, Taboo Deltah sneakers, a cool old school baseball cap, my old black-framed glasses. You know, I’m real big on sweats and Under Armour type of chill clothes.
11. Have you ever thought about doing something really drastic to your hair? A lot of people are doing it lately.
Of course, of course! That’s my next big thing for the next tour. I’m going to do something crazy.
I really don’t know what it’s going to be. I’ve had my hair really long at one point—which I’ll never do again. I kind of want to give it a whole totally different feel. My hair’s a lot shorter than what it used to be so I don’t know. Haven’t really thought about it yet.
Would you ever cut it all off?
Of course! That’ll be in the future when I’m kind of slowing down.
12. If you were to do a Saturday Night Live skit, what kind of skit would you like to star in?
I would like to do…I’d say a racial skit.
A racial skit
Lay it out for me. What kind of character would you play?
I would play like an old Mexican mechanic. [laughs]
[laughs] That could be very, very hilarious.
Yeah. An old Mexican mechanic named Dokey Man.
A Mexican mechanic superhero from east LA named Dokey Man. Yeah, that’s it right there!
Fallin’ Up: My Story is available online and in book stores now.