Dreams are made to come true, and they did for plenty of screaming/adoring fans last night, July 7th, as BET’s 106 & Park presented the Closer To My Dreams Tour.
The 18-city trek, which kicked-off at the House Of Blues in Los Angeles, CA featured high-energy and entertaining performances from next generation stars including: R&B singers Trevante and Jawan Harris, boy band Mindless Behavior, rap star Diggy Simmons, and Young Money crewmen Lil’ Twist and Tyga.
While the energy was pumping and the crowd was certainly bumping the entire night, here are five things to look forward to when getting closer to your dreams in a city near you this summer:
1. Commanding Swag and Stage-Presence: Hands down, this new generation of Hip-Hop and Pop-n-B crooners were more than ready to take the stage as evidenced by their domination of it. From the swoon-worthy R&B performances by Jawan Harris to the non-stop dance moves of Mindless Behavior, to the swaggerific performances of rappers Diggy Simmons, Lil’ Twist, and Tyga, there were no newcomers on the stage when it came to hyping the fans and delivering performances of such crowd-pleasing hits including: “Another Planet”, “Copy & Paste”, “My Girl”, “Roger That”, and the chart-topping, show-closing “Deuces.”
2. Have Your Cat-Daddy & Dougie Shoes Ready: Dust off those dougie skills and get ready to dance all night as every act got into the dance craze on stage, showing off their best. R&B singer Jawan Harris showed off his skills during a quick cover of his “Another Planet” collaborator Chris Brown’s “Look At Me Now”, while “son of a legend” rap star Diggy Simmons let it be known he’s not above doing a little two-step of his own. But hands down, the dancing crowns went to Mindless Behavior as the group combined their cat-daddy and dougie skills with high-energy, mesmerizing choreography throughout their entire set.
3. Special Guest Appearances: With many of the performing acts having worked and collaborated with famous friends and superstar predecessors including Drake, Ciara, Lil Wayne and Chris Brown, it should be no surprise that a couple of guest performers are down for the dream-ride and may pop up at a Closer To My Dreams Tour stop near you. For the L.A. crowd, hometown stars and “You’re A Jerk” phenoms, New Boyz, were in the house stepping in for a quick set featuring their hit songs “Backseat” and “Tie Me Down.”
4. Audience Participation: If you’re a single lady in the house, chances are, you might be brought onto the stage. From a bouquet of roses handed out to a special slow-dance on stage, the guys were pulling out all the stops for those “#1 Girls” in the crowd. Diggy Simmons took to giving “the baddest girl” in the audience a rap-serenade as he showered her with a bouquet of flowers, while Lil’ Twist shared that he was on the lookout for that one, special “Single Lady.” But it was Tyga who made his intentions clear as he announced his preference for fan interaction, taking the time out to slow-dance with a special fan, as well as invite several on stage to dance along with him during his set. Ladies, be prepared to be the stars of the night.
5. Terrence & Rocsi: Who says a little 106 & Park can’t go a long way on a nationwide tour? Not Terrence and Rocsi. Although the 106 & Park co-hosting duo weren’t in the house physically, they made sure to support their fans and make their presence known as the emcees for the night, introducing each act via video. Terrence and Rocsi were on hand to insure the tour party was kicked off right, and as it turns out, BET’s 106 & Park Presents: The Closer To My Dreams Tour is off to a fun and entertaining start.