When we chatted with the lovely Kelly Rowland last month, not long after she released she long-awaited third album, Here I Am, we got the scoop on her cameo in her Destiny’s Child sister Beyoncé‘s music video for “Party,” and also her “grown and sexy” plans for Chris Brown‘s F.A.M.E. Tour this fall.
But we also made her the latest victim of our 12 random questions. And, because Kelly is such a doll, she was more than willing to answer every question, no matter how personal. The R&B/pop diva dished on whether or not she would follow in some of her famous friends’ footsteps and get a reality TV show, which of her celeb pals is the worst cook, if she has any naughty photos you can, um, motivate yourself to on her phone, and where she feels her place in music is.
Find out the answers to those questions and more in Neon Limelight’s 12 random questions interview with Kelly Rowland below:
1. Do you feel like people finally get you as a solo artist?
I feel like they’re starting to. I feel like with this record, Here I Am, as they continue to listen to the record they’ll continue to get to know me as well.
2. You’re one of the nicest people we’ve ever met. What does someone have to do to get you to just curse them the hell out?
Simply being an idiot. [laughs] I just can’t stand people who are arrogant and who kind of take advantage of my niceness because they can feel that, yeah, I am nice, so they try to take advantage of it.
3. You have a few really good friends with reality TV shows. Would you ever consider having your own?
I like my privacy. And I let people get a little peek into a bit of my world just through my friendships like with La La, with Brandy, and that’s the best for me.
4. If we were to take your cell phone right now and leak its contents, would any emails or pictures make headlines?
No! Not at all! I can not do that. I’ve seen too many people have that situation happen to them. I’m terrified of that, so no. You’ll find pictures of my mom’s dog — well, she was my dog, Mocha, my god-kids, me being silly with all of my friends and cousins and all of that stuff. Nothing incriminating! [laughs]
5. Congratulations of being a judge on X Factor! That’s huge!
Are you a nice judge or straight to the point with these contestants?
I’m straight to the point and I’m nice. I’m more so constructive than anything. I feel like there’s so many people who were so instrumental in my life and gave me that knowledge. Who would I be if I didn’t give that back? So I just want to continue to give out different things that I’ve learned over the years to help.
6. There were sparks flying everywhere when you performed with Trey Songz at the BET Awards. That was such a hot performance!
Thank you so much! I appreciate it!
Are there any plans for you to ever duet again?
I would love to! Trey and I did the remix to “Motivation,” but it would be really cool to do something else with him. I think he’s so talented.
7. You get down in the kitchen! But out of all your celebrity friends, who would you say is the worst cook?
Probably B [as in Beyoncé]! [laughs] But she’ll be the one to tell you that. It’s no secret!
8. Choose any female singer. Who would you want to be for a day?
I would probably want to be Kim Burrell. Yeah, Kim Burrell. I mean, her…there’s like five people living in her throat to make her do all those tricks and I would just love to know what that entails. [laughs] That would be cool.
9. Whose idea was it for you to pose topless for VIBE and what did you think of the pictures?
For me, Vibe and this article was the first time I felt really comfortable talking about me, my background, even my father, my family, I open up a little bit about DC, my decision making, everything. So, I really bared it all. And for me, the picture was a representation of that, of me being completely exposed, but of course keeping a little to myself as you can see on the cover, I’m covering my nipples, my butt. [laughs] But, yeah, just really feeling like I could bare it all.
10. What’s the best and the worst thing about turning 30?
The best thing about turning 30 is just the experience that comes with it. That was an “a-ha” moment for me. There’s been so many “a-ha” moments at 30. The worst thing, I’m one step closer to my behind falling to the ground and not being able to pick it back up. [laughs] Just the gravity! But you can try to defy gravity by exercising, so it’s still a great thing to be 30.
11. Could you ever be with a guy where no amount of motivation would work? In other words, he can’t get it up!
Oh gosh!….Can he do anything else right? [laughs] If he can do everything else right, we might be working with something. It might be kind of exciting.
That’s so sweet of you to say.
[laughs] I definitely need something to let me know it’s there. Ten-hut! Ten-hut!
12. With 15 years in the business, where do you feel your place in music is? What do you hope people look to Kelly Rowland to provide?
Music that makes people feel good. That’s what I wanted to do with this record. I wanted to make people feel-good music.